You cried, you were mesmerized, whatever your particular emotion, these are the Top 10 Most Shocking moments in soap history. Some are off-the-wall, some are heart-tugging and some are just downright bizarre, but all were unforgettable moments in the genre.
10. All my Children – Janet throws her sister Natalie down a well and assumes her identity: Janet became infatuated with her twin sister Natalie’s husband Trevor Dillon. in order to get him, Janet “From Another Planet” threw Natalie down a well and assumed her identity. Thinking Janet was Natalie, Trevor and Janet conceived and Janet gave birth to Amanda. later Trevor learned the truth, Janet went to jail for killing Will Cortlandt and Trevor and Natalie were granted custody of Amanda.
9. One Life to Live – Viki had twins, Jessica AND Natalie: Presumed dead, Mitch Laurence reappeared in Llanview and revealed that he had drugged and raped Viki around the time she thought she had gotten pregnant by Clint. in addition, it was revealed that Viki hadn’t just given birth to Jessica but that she had given birth to twin girls. Natalie was Viki’s other daughter and Clint’s biological daughter while Jessica was Mitch’s biological daughter. Thankfully, years later it was revealed that Alison Perkins, a follower of Mitch’s that had kidnapped Jessica as a baby, had lied to Mitch about Jessica’s paternity and she was in fact also Clint’s biological daughter.
8. One Life to Live – Todd isn’t Todd but Victor Jr: When a man bearing Todd Manning’s original face showed up in Llanview in 2001 claiming to be the real Todd Manning, everyone in town assumed he was a fake. then, Irene Manning, Todd’s mother, who was presumed dead, resurfaced and revealed the truth. the “fake” Todd and the man everyone knew as Todd were in fact twin brothers. Irene revealed that she gave Todd to her cousin, Peter Manning, to raise while she kept the other child, Victor Jr. she raised Victor Jr. in seclusion, later joined the CIA and later launched a rogue operation. in 2003, after Todd was left for dead in his father’s crypt by Mitch Laurence and his goons, Irene had Todd brought to her secret facility and brainwashed Victor Jr. into believing that he was Todd. she even cut a scar onto his cheek so he would pass for Todd. But realizing that Mitch was still after Todd, Irene gave Victor plastic surgery so he would appear to be Mitch’s long-lost brother Walker Laurence. Victor came to Llanview in may 2003, introduced himself as Walker and quickly became ensconced in Todd’s former life before revealing that he was Todd — a lie that even he believed. Todd, now knowing the truth, resented Victor for “stealing” his life and shot him dead…or so he believes. later, viewers saw that Victor Jr. is alive and well and being kept prisoner by crazy Alison Perkins.
7. All my Children – David brought Greenlee back from the dead: in 2009, David began making trips to Gloucester to see a mystery patient. the mystery patient was Greenlee Smythe, who was presumed dead following a motorcycle accident on her wedding day to Ryan years earlier. It was revealed that David had rescued Greenlee the night of her accident and faked her death. Greenlee needed a risky experimental medical procedure to avoid paralysis. Greenlee was grateful David had saved her and wanted him to help her make her entrance back into Pine Valley. Greenlee was furious that Ryan had moved on with Erica Kane. Erica had also taken over Fusion, the cosmetics company Greenlee had founded. David then helped Greenlee exact her revenge on Erica by breaking into Fusion and destroying files. He also went along with Greenlee’s plan of revenge on Ryan. she wanted to marry David one year from the day she would have married Ryan. Greenlee and David were married. they married out of friendship and revenge, but David fell in love with Greenlee, and they consummated their marriage. once Greenlee revealed herself as being alive, despite the lies and relationships with others, Greenlee and Ryan eventually found their way back to each other.
6. Days of our Lives – Marlena’s Possession: after John was revealed not to be Roman, Marlena’s husband, she elected to stay with Roman. John planned to leave Salem. later, after a passionate one night with John before he left caused Marlena to be pregnant with Belle, she went to Louisiana to search for him. John and Marlena were captured by Stefano, who forced her to call Roman and tell him that she was with John. they eventually escaped and returned to Salem. But, Stefano followed Marlena and began giving her mind-altering drugs. she began to act oddly and it was discovered that Marlena was now possessed by the Devil. John, who was a priest before coming to Salem, performed an exorcism to save Marlena’s soul. At first, it looked hopeless but John managed to exercise the Devil from Marlena’s body and save her life.
5. One Life to Live – Viki, Megan and Eterna, the underground city: Viki was astonished to learn that she had given birth her senior year of high school to a daughter, Megan. Viki and Megan’s father, Roger, married secretly when they were teens but the marriage had been annulled. Roger had lived with Megan in a secret world beneath Llantano Mountain called Eterna, which was developed by Viki’s father, Victor. Viki and Roger barely escaped Eterna with their lives and Megan and Viki began to bond as mother and daughter. Sadly, the pair wouldn’t have much time together, as soon after Megan was diagnosed with Lupus and died.
4. General Hospital – Stone dies and Robin has AIDS: Robin developed a crush on Stone, who worked for Sonny and her Uncle Mac didn’t like it. Before consummating their relationship, Stone told Robin that he had been tested for AIDS, since he spent much of his life on the street and had tested negative but he never went back for the six-month checkup. He and Robin used protection but one night they didn’t and it was later revealed that Stone did have AIDS. Stone was afraid to tell Robin but it was when he was later shot and his blood got all over Robin, that he told her the truth. Robin stood by Stone and got tested. the first test came back negative but the six-month follow-up test came back positive. Robin didn’t want to tell Stone but on his deathbed she did. He was racked with guilt over what he had done but Robin loved him anyway. in one of the most touching yet heartbreaking scenes ever on soaps, Stone died in Robin’s arms.
3. Guiding Light – Reva’s clone: Josh, thinking Reva was dead, had accidentally allowed Dr. Michael Burke to produce a clone of Reva using her frozen eggs. the clone was rapidly aged to Reva’s age with the use of an aging serum. the clone learned Reva was alive, kidnapped her and trapped her in a lighthouse. Reva convinced the clone into allowing her to “teach” her how to love Josh. in reality, it was Reva’s plan to get back to Josh. later, Josh reluctantly chose to marry the clone, Reva talked the clone into moving her into the Lewis’ poolhouse and to bring her tapes of the kids. Reva then made a tape for Josh telling him that she was alive and being kept in the poolhouse. Josh later figured out what the clone had done but Reva took pity on the clone and made her into her long lost cousin, Dolly. she sent Dolly to live a new life in Italy but still in love with Josh, she overdosed on the aging serum and died so Reva and Josh could continue their life together.
2. General Hospital – B.J.’s death: in 1994, Maxie Jones became seriously ill and needed a heart transplant to save her life. One morning, Bobbie Jones bid her young daughter B.J. goodbye as she went on the bus to school. later that day, B.J. was taken to GH because she had been in a school bus accident, which left her brain dead. Felicia, Maxie’s mother, learned that there was a donor heart for Maxie but didn’t know it was B.J.’s. in yet another one of soaps most gut-wrenching scenes, Felicia learns from Bobbie that it’s B.J’s heart and Felicia crumpled to the floor in agony, as did Bobbie. Tony, B.J.’s father, at first didn’t want to let B.J. go but eventually agreed and B.J’s heart saved Maxie’s life.
1. Port Charles – Vampires in Port Charles: Lucy and Kevin, through many trials and tribulations, had uncovered the existence of his daughter Livvie. Yet, when Lucy began to delve into her family history, which led her to Transylvania, she learned that she was the last in a long line of vampire slayers. she found her long lost cousin, Rafe Kovich, who turned out to be an angel and revealed the existence of Michael/Caleb Morley as the last of the vampires. Lucy, Kevin and Rafe managed to vanquish Caleb but only momentarily. He returned by gaining power from the town’s fear. He planted thoughts in Lucy’s head that made her think that Kevin wanted to rekindle his relationship with Eve and that her lost daughter Christina was trying to contact her. Yet, through much adversity, secret worlds and ex-lovers/angels, Kevin and Lucy found their way back to each other. But, then a band known as the Stephen Clay Experience came to Port Charles and released a song that seemed to mesmerize the whole town except Lucy and Rafe. When the band’s front man was revealed, he looked like Caleb. Lucy and Rafe then went into slayer mode to protect the town but several key residents were turned like Alison’s mother, Elizabeth and Eve’s husband Ian. Lucy, Kevin, Alison and Ian worked nonstop to vanquish Caleb once and for all. they planned submerge vampires that have fed in a healing spring that would return them to their human selves. the group planned to toss all the vampires in. Unfortunately, the plan did not go off as well as hoped because Joshua tried to blow the spring up and people were injured. Lucy also fell into the water and lost her slayer powers. Ian was unable to be healed. after many mistaken identities and revenge plots, it was ultimately Livvie, who had an on again – off again dark romance with Caleb, who plunged the stake into his heart, finally vanquishing him.
Top 10 Soaps Most Shocking Moments