If a child is having microtia, which is a condition where the ear is underdeveloped or undeveloped, microtia surgery needs to be done. Usually, this surgery is not done until the child is 6 years of age. Although the surgery is a complex one, it is very effective in restoring the natural shape to the ear. many parents frequently ask about the effect of the condition on the child, the risks involved in microtia surgery as well as the expectation of recovery. when preparing for this surgery, the tips given below will prove to be of some help.
• Lots of jammies and shirts that button down should be brought. Clothes that have to be pulled over the head should be avoided.
• Skirts, shorts or pants having a waist band should be brought. They are easy on the skin graft of the abdomen.
• if the child is a boy, his hair must be cut really short before the surgery is done. in any case, one side of the head will be shaved while performing the surgery. as hair washes have to be avoided, it is better to have less hair. Also the protective cups that have to be worn afterwards contain adhesive that often pull out hair when removed. so, it’s always better to have less hair.
• Bendy straws should be brought for use during the weeks following the surgery. Popsicles are good if a child is having a sore throat after intubation.
• Lots of little treats and gifts should be brought for pacifying and persuading the kid. even if bribing the kid would not seem to be a good idea for many, you may need to do it at times.
• Baby wipes should be brought for cleaning or washing the kid. these are useful especially around drains on the neck.
• A DVD player and a few DVDs are a good way to keep the child occupied.
• A potty seat is essential since the child may be a bit wobbly and weak after the surgery. They face trouble sitting on the seat of the toilet.
• One must bring someone along for helping with sleeping rotations. it is difficult to handle a kid who keeps messing and rolling over due to the discomfort caused.
• Parents must always take something along with them so that they are distracted from the surgery. A Sudoku puzzle book is a good option. This will definitely help in keeping the mind occupied.
• Parents must be prepared when the kid first comes out of the anesthesia. at times, a child can really be quite restless.
• the prescriptions should be filled in when the child is still in surgery.
These small tips would prove to be of great help during and after the microtia surgery. it will also reduce the stress and pressure to a great extent.