There is nothing that tells a story like “before and after” photos, especially in plastic surgery. the old adage “a picture is worth a thousand words” is true. Nothing quite captures the transformation, made possible by cosmetic surgery, like photography. These photos can be helpful for a variety of reasons.
- Clarifying expectations: it is very helpful to look at an array of photographs of possible noses, breasts or facelifts if you are planning to get a rhinoplasty, breast lift, augmentation with implants or a surgical facial rejuvenation. not only will you see what type of changes are possible, but you will begin to zero in on what type of nose you’d like, or how large of breasts or whether your face would look better with a traditional lift or a brow and forehead lift.
- Comparing apples with apples and oranges with oranges: due to the large volume of photos available for viewing online, it is easy to find someone who has had the exact procedure done that you are contemplating. You are likely to find someone with similar skin type, bone structure and near your same age. it is important to look at the results of someone similar to you in order to get a realistic idea of possible outcome.
- See actual results of your prospective plastic surgeon’s skill and aesthetic sense: it is very important to view your doctor’s “before and after” photos in order to accurately gauge their work. Online photos are good for a broad idea, but your own surgeon’s photos are necessary for specifics.
- Ability to communicate your wishes: showing your cosmetic surgeon photos of the results that you’d like is a better way to make him or her understand your desired outcome. the words ‘short’, ‘large’ and ‘narrow’ may mean different things to different people, but a picture is a tangible visual description.
- your own “before and after” photos will help you appreciate your process: After you’ve gone through a plastic surgery procedure, you may forget exactly what you looked like before, especially after a bit of time has passed. Viewing your own “before and after” photos will make you truly appreciate how far you’ve come.
Don’t underestimate the power of the “before and after” photograph. Take the opportunity to view as many as possible in order to help you make an informed decision, communicate your wishes to your plastic surgeon, and to be able to record your own progress.