1. To improve confidence, decrease self-consciousness–Perhaps, for example, one sees their nose as large or conspicuous and a long-term confidence underminer. Whether true or not, whether perceived as such by others or not, if one believes this to be true, it is true. And like a nagging little bug, it is constantly there. Once fixed, the perceived hurdle to moving on and up in the world is gone.
2. To enhance psychological feelings of well-being, sensuality, sexuality, self-actualization or being one’s best–These are complex and very personal issues, but for some who work very hard through diet, exercise, makeup, clothes, etc. to look their best, a problem or flaw that they can improve upon, or an area that they would like to make just a bit better can be quite important. when this is linked to sexuality, the level of importance goes up a few notches.
3. To increase sense of improvement in quality/enjoyment of life or work–This can include things like wearing the type of clothes or bathing suits you want to wear. Or you like going to the beach and would like to feel good about the body that you have. Maybe you have a very public job or deal with the public a lot. Perhaps you’re on TV or work as a performer, or maybe you’re busy socially. these all weigh in the decision.
4. To regain a lost positive attribute-For example, my lips were always full but now., I always had a nice figure but now., I miss the compliments I would always get about my. Having good positive reinforcement and ego stroking over the years and losing that attribute is like losing one’s self-identity. there are ways to reasonably preserve or restore some of those youthful or sensual qualities.
5. To slow down, reverse or turn back the untoward effects of aging that are beginning to appear or have been creeping along for a while. The key here is aging youthfully i.e. looking great for one’s age. Someone who is 65 and trying to look 25? unfortunately, we can all recall seeing someone where this was exactly what was attempted– but this rarely looks quite right and often just looks simply strange. Being a really good looking 50 year old and young for your age, looks more natural and beautiful. Who doesn’t want to look healthy, natural and appealing regardless of their age?
6. To counteract post-pregnancy body changes–The Mommy Makeover– many unpleasant postpartum changes to the body that can make any mommy depressed. A mommy doesn’t always want to feel that her whole life and being is now defined that way. She wants to be a woman, a lover, a friend, and a wife too. It is hard to feel sexy with empty, hanging breasts, clothes that don’t fit, hanging, loose skin over a c-section scar, and fat in places that will not go away.
7. To correct post-weight loss body changes– more and more gastric bypass type operations are leading to an increasing number of patients with extremely large amounts of loose, hanging skin on the neck, chest, abdomen, inner and outer thighs, arms. everywhere. You are healthier, you will live longer, you feel great.but you have now traded one terrible body image for another. Plastic surgery is the next step that should reward a better look to the body for the new found better health.
8. To relieve physical factors/symptoms leading one to e.g. a Breast Reduction– chronic recurrent headaches, neck strain, lower back pain, shoulder notching, chronic bra strap line grooves, rashes/irritation/odor/infections under the breasts, numbing or tingling in the hands due to nerve stretch– all of these are associated with mammary hypertrophy–or excessively large, heavy, dense breasts. almost all of these problems are 100% remedied by a breast reduction procedure. Other examples– breathing better through the nose after a septorhinoplasty, improved peripheral vision after an upper eyelid blepharoplasty.
9. To improve/alter a feature that you have always disliked,or eliminate a focus/source of embarrassment or insecurity. this can be an issue of maturity– you thought about it a lot when you were younger and after years of reflection have realized that it definitely is something you would like improved. often patients tell themselves– I’ll do it after I get married, I’ll do it after we move, after we have kids, after they go to college, etc. many times it is also a financial issue– many people are simply not in the financial position at a younger age to comfortably afford plastic surgery– or so they think.
10. To improve a tired or overstressed look– Patients will say that they feel like they are wearing their divorce on their face or that their job, or some other significant life stress has aged them. Or that their appearance (by genetics and the aging process) is suggesting those very same stress messages so well that people often ask if everything is ok, are you well, are you sleeping enough etc. If you get asked those questions a few times, it might make you look in the mirror and consider scheduling an appointment with your local Plastic Surgeon.
Which of these might be you or someone you know?